“Always Liars”: a letter from Bishop R.E. Ranger
Part 1 of 4, Author’s CAPS
For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre’s sake. One of themselves, even a prophet of their own, said, the Cretians are always liars, evil beasts, slow bellies. Titus 1:10-12
Peace be unto you my Brethren partakers of the same faith, nurtured by the same love, standing in the consciousness of the same judgment, and for this cause animated by the same hope of eternal life.
The year 1965 has died since we were last together in our National Headquarters in Mason Temple, 938 Mason St. Memphis, Tenn. Another New Year has been born and is, as of the present date April 4, 1966, now well on its way to its appointed terminus, once the circle of its existence has brought it, too like 1965, and all of its predecessors, back to the Garden of Eden, to the valley marked for its determined end, THE VALLEY OF DECISION.
Its seems that physically many of us, if not the most of us have been blessed to enjoy the favors of our God over the period over which we have been permitted to come since we were last together in our NATIONAL CONVOCATION in November 1965. With a significantly few of us, the passage of this particular period of time has marked the END OF OUR EARTHLY JOURNEY. With others our journey of life has come upon problems of sickness and accident, all in the consequential will of our God. It is he who knows the way that we all take and hath said When he hath tried me, I shall come forth as gold.” Job 23:10 We must notice however that the “Pure Gold” does not emerge until after the trials by God. The dross must be burned away by TRIAL.
Our NATIONAL CONVOCATION, last November brought to us many experiences foreign to the history of the CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST. It is disagreeable to all of us to contemplate the fact that it did occur. We do not even now feel ourselves comfortable in its contemplation.
(1) We saw a display of hatred and evil purpose among the brethren.
(2) We looked upon the deliberate “Rape of the Rights” of the highest of all OFFICIALS of the CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST, Sunday Nov 14, 1965.
(3) We witnessed the attempted seizing of the entire machinery of financial power and government of the CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST by violence.
(4) We saw the beginning of a coalition of men in the Elders Council and the so-called “EXECUTIVE BOARD” designed to destroy the BOARD OF BISHOPS, THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY and the OFFICE OF THE SENIOR BISHOP.
(5) We have observed the development of a NATIONWIDE CAMPAIGN of lies and attempted intimidation, directed through the channels of the only NATIONAL MEDIA published within the CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST, THE EVANGELIST SPEAKS. (allegedly bought for that purpose) and by addressing slanted new releases to publications of national circulation, with the Racial Press group, all over the nation.
(6)We have seen the forcible entry of this so-called “EXECUTIVE BOARD” into the jurisdictions presided over by certain state BISHOPS, who did not show themselves sufficiently frightened by “Threats and attempted intimidations” that were addressed to them by this BOARD with but one purpose and that was to destroy.
(7) We have seen the EDICT addressed to Dr. OT Jones, Jr as President of the Youth Department, that he cease all activity as President of this DEPARTMENT and appear before this group who seek to serve as accusers (with no accusation) Judges (plainly without judgement) Persecutors (without a valid charge) and intimidators without law at the APRIL CALL MEETING convening April 12-14, 1966 in Memphis, Tenn. No Charge is made! Just answer before us but before we even see you or give one word of accusation, CEASE YOUR WORK! How many of this group can stand the examination of even the last twelve years of their lives? Answer, those live where they have lived and where they live now.
(8) We have received a SPECIOUS CALL for a SPECIAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY IN THE APRIL SPRING CALL of the CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST, in Memphis, Tenn. The purpose of this call is to “RAPE THE CONSTITUTION of the CHURCH OF GOD IN CHRIST” as the RIGHTS OF THE SENIOR BISHOP were stripped from him by “RAPE AND VIOLENCE” November 14, 1966. The CONSTITUTION calls for one General Assembly each year held at the time of the NATIONAL CONVOCATION. The BOARD OF BISHOPS alone is empowered to call an extra session. The BOARD of BISHOPS is now composed of all who are Bishops in good standing in the CHURCH. THE BOARD OF BISHOPS HAS NOT EVEN MET. THE CALL IS A FAKE!